Thursday, August 11, 2016

LAUGH AND YOU WILL LAST


In the Four Decades I had the fun and equally privilege of working and living with those who had been, like me, hired by the organisation to do odd jobs , which they now-a-days call multi-tasking staff, I had come across men and women of unmatched calibre and prowess.

In late 60s and early 70s, they were called Jay Os.

I am not talking of their knowledge, skill or attitude which they must have had, as it is was on that basis perhaps, they had been placed in their posts.

It is on the other aspect of their personality which they had carefully built around themselves I was attracted to.

A few among them talked a lot when they were sure their boss was not around.

But a few were really bold enough .Never lost any chance to prove their mettle. Witty, humorous as they were, they thrilled and enlivened the environment. . Never however hurt anyone in the process.
I mean never hit anyone below their belt.

I have heard the story of one such great humorists.  What I narrate I am damn sure really happened, people close to me have confirmed.


Ok.
Let me begin narrating the story.

The beautiful palatious Office at Delhi had then only sprung up.  And it was the privilege of Chairman to  inaugurate it.

The function started with gay and galore and with sweets and pleasantries as it ended, the Chairman wanted to walk around the beautiful building, to see for himself the structural beauty.

The pavements  lined with flowery green bushes of various hues as he walked along with our great friend were smelling pleasant.  Of Course, the head of the office and a few others were also accompanying.

Suddenly as if struck by some lightning the Chairman stopped at a point. Staring  at a point on the wall of the structure, with a grim face, short of shrieking,  he said loudly:

"Oh ! What is it ?There are some cracks visible from outside !"

As everyone was turning their faces towards the Chief Engineer who was seen managing to say  a word or two,

my good friend intervened.

With all the politeness in his command, he said:

"  Sir ! there are some cracks inside also. "

There were bursts of laughter all around.
Laughter over, back to serious business,

"It's only a wall painting overdone, Sir ! With another scratch and  coat, it will be OK."  murmured the officer in charge of buildings.

"Is it ? I now understand. Anything you overdo, will crack, of course, "

_____________________________

Even many years thereafter, around 30 or more, people were still remembering this episode.
Once he came to visit our centre to interact with us and indeed to introduce his new just-published book.I forgot the title of the book, but sure the theme of the book rested on the value of customers. (We had by that time started taking high of customers, you know! )  
I think he was then already retired, but never wore a tired look.

I was sorry , to be honest, I was never given a 5-minute even tete to have a private chat with him,   I lost an opportunity to tell  him how badly we need a shade of his  tribe in our midst. .

PS:

(A  VIP ,of my days, (near my residence, nowadays he calls himself VP) hisses that he knows this hilarious character).Says,
he is CM.


Do you know him !

When people laugh at others,
this gentleman taught us
to laugh at ourselves.

Read his books.
The cartoons there say a lot.

Again, 
have  you read his  article  on THE ABCD OF EMOTIONS. ?
The article starts with this sentence:

"Men and women are pulled and pushed by reason on the one hand and emotion on the other." 

CLICK HERE TO READ IT.

To conclude,

not unoften, there is only one situation. one issue.

But the men and women who are witness to the situation, who face the issue,
interpret it and arrive at conclusions based  on their own belief systems.

And that is inevitable.




No comments:

Post a Comment